Jersey Housing Law

Control of Housing and Work (Jersey) Law 2012

This law came into effect on 1st July 2013. People in Jersey now need a registration card to buy or lease a home, change job or move to the island.

It replaces Social Security cards and is part of a change to the law on who can live and work in Jersey.

The registration cards show names, Social Security numbers and residential status. Anyone moving to Jersey for the first time will have to pay £75 for the registration card before they can find a job or somewhere to live.

Under the law, residential status is split into four categories – entitled, licensed, entitled to work and registered.


ENTITLED – Lived in Jersey for 10 years – can buy, sell or lease anywhere

LICENSED – An essential employee working in something like healthcare or education. Can buy, sell or lease property in their own name but employers need a licence for a specific period of time

REGISTERED – Does not qualify any other way. Can lease registered property.


Further information is available from the States of Jersey website (please see links below):

Registration cards
Information about living and working in Jersey
Notification of licensed employee (form)
Advice for new tenants and people buying property
Notification of change of address (form)

Contact us to discuss property management and lettings

Contact Us
Commercial Property

Commercial Property

The range of commercial properties we deal with include offices, shops, restaurants and warehouse spaces, which are situated throughout the Island.

Residential Property

Residential Property

We have a large portfolio of management, which includes qualified and registered properties throughout the island. If you wish to browse our available properties, please use our Residential search engine.

Property To Let?

Property To Let?

We specialise in property management and are here to assist you if you wish to let your residential or commercial property. For more information and details of our fees, please see Lettings and Management.